Sunday, October 16, 2011

Toast, bacon, egg and cheese muffin cups

I heart making breakfast!  My favorite time of the week is when I can spend some time on Saturday mornings and make something other than yogurt for Nick and I.  We enjoy a big cup of coffee, sit outside on the balcony, and just take the morning in slowly.  I wish every morning during the week could start like this but there's just not enough time!

Thanks to Martha Stewart,  I came across this recipe and knew it was so easy I had to try it!  I made a couple of modifications, but you can view the original recipe here.  Rather than using a standard muffin pan, I used an extra large muffin pan.  Since I used the bigger muffin cups, I didn't have to cut the bread.  Also, I added a quarter of a piece of cheese on the bottom of the bread because we love bacon, egg, and CHEESE!  Next time, I will try to use bread that is more fresh because I think it can cook quickly and the bread gets a little stiff if it's slightly stale.

Toast, bacon, egg, and cheese muffin cups



Ingredients

3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
6 slices white or whole-wheat sandwich bread
6 slices pre-cooked bacon
2 slices cheddar cheese
6 large eggs
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly butter 6 large muffin cups.  Press bread into the bottom of each muffin cup making sure the bread comes up to the edge of the cup.  Patch any gaps by pinching the bread together.  Brush bread with remaining butter.

Microwave bacon, about 30-45 seconds, until almost crisp.  (It will continue to cook in the oven).  Quarter cheese and lay it on the bottom of the bread.  Lay 1 bacon slice in each bread cup and crack an egg over each.  Season with salt and pepper.  Bake until egg whites are just set, 20 minutes.  Run a small knife around cups to loosen toasts.  Serve immediately.

Voila!  Here was our delicious breakfast and it was so easy to make!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment