Friday, September 30, 2011

I've Converted... to the Y

Ever since I had a slipped disc in my spine,  I've been really into my fitness and keeping my core strong.  After all, the doctors had no idea how my disc slipped out of place to begin with and I all I know is that it caused unbearable pain.  The slipped disc was touching my nerves, which sent shooting spastic pain down the left side of my body.  It took months to recover.

Through my recovery, I found my personal trainer, who nursed me back to health.  Not only did he help get my back stronger through targeted exercises, but he also taught me a few things along the way.  We've now been working out together for over two years and he's a big part of my workout plan.  My trainer, Sean, also teaches spin classes at my gym and it is because of him, that I have found my favorite workout of all time... spinning.  It's one of the quickest ways to burn the most calories and I truly enjoy it.  I never would have thought I would enjoy working out but it's the one class I look forward to.

At my current gym, the bikes are starting to wear down and the classes are being offered less so I've stopped going as much but I really miss it.  This week, Nick and I decided to take a look at the Lake Norman YMCA to see their schedule of classes.  I was blown away by the number of spin classes offered!  They are offered EVERY day, multiple times a day!

I tried my first Y spin class on Friday and absolutely loved it.  The bikes were well maintained, the instructor was awesome, and I really enjoyed the video screen to bring the outside into the cycle room.  At the end of my workout I burned close to 800 calories.  See what I mean about burning a TON???!

The instructor, Mark, also gave us a post workout drink.  I've heard chocolate milk is great for instant protein after a workout.  He takes it to the next level by mixing chocolate milk, coconut water, and nutmeg.  I will definitely make some and try it post workouts.

I feel a bit like I'm cheating on my trainer because we've been together so long.  I'll continue to train with him a couple times a week but I will eventually leave the gym.  I am excited to use the new Y spin classes as a stress reliever and even more excited to see the results after spinning multiple times a week!

Spinning = Happy :)

Spin Bike Certification

Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images


Want to know more about spinning?  There are some great articles on the LiveStrong website:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/381796-what-are-the-benefits-of-spinning-workout-classes/


No comments:

Post a Comment